The barbell Cuban press is a highly effective full body exercise that really works your core and shoulders.
To develop larger and stronger muscles, load the barbell with a weight that you can complete 4-8 reps of the exercise with. To improve your muscle tone and endurance, choose a weight you can complete 12-16 reps of the exercise with.
Here’s how to perform the barbell Cuban press:
- Stand behind the barbell with your feet around shoulder width apart.
- Bend your hips forward, keep your hands a shoulder width apart and grab the barbell with an overhand grip.
- Straighten your hips, stand up straight and lift
the barbell off the ground. Rest it against the front of your legs while
keeping your legs and body straight.
- Bend your arms and raise the barbell up to chest height.
- Rotate your arms at the shoulders and bring the barbell up above your head, making sure you keep your elbows bent as you do this.
- Straighten your arms and press the barbell upwards. Make sure you keep your body straight and your core muscles tight as you do this.
- Bend your arms and lower the barbell down, stopping when it’s in line with your head.
- Rotate your arms at the shoulders and bring the barbell down in front of your chest.
- Straighten your arms, lower the barbell down in front of your body and rest it against the front of your legs.
- Repeat steps 4-9 for your desired number of reps, then place the barbell on the ground, stand up straight and rest for 1 minute.
- Repeat the exercise two more times.