How to Fix Muscle Imbalance (EQUALIZE YOUR SIZE!)

Get a training program that creates balanced, athletic muscles.

If you have muscle imbalance, the worst thing you can do is ignore it and pretend that it will go away. Muscle imbalances can lead to bigger problems if left alone, including muscle breakdown and injury. As a physical therapist, I get paid to analyze movement. By watching my athletes run, jump, and train I can see where muscle imbalances exist and help to fix them.

In this video, I show you the easiest and fastest way to fix muscle imbalances by relying on an old fashioned mirror. By training in a mirror you can easily spot the compensations that you use in your training to try and work around muscle strength imbalances.

If you are going to fix uneven muscles you have to start making yourself aware of what might be causing them. As I point out, most unbalanced muscles come from the bad posture that we assume in the other 23 hours of the day that we are not working out. These tightnesses and weaknesses are carried into our workouts and made worse by how we compensate because of them in our workouts.

Imbalanced muscle size is really the least of our worries. Sure, having one arm bigger than the other, or one pec bigger than the other doesn't look all the great, however the implications go far beyond that. A pec that isn't as big as the other could be caused by a postural shoulder issue that may ultimately cause your shoulder joint to break down.

Take that example even further and you may not be able to lift overhead for much longer, which can lead to bigger problems down the road and more muscle size imbalance.

The bottom line is, if you want to train for a well developed and balanced body you have to start training like an athlete. Pro athletes cannot overlook any aspect of their workouts. If you want to fix muscle imbalances and get strong, evenly developed muscles you can start training with the ATHLEAN-X Training system available at

For more videos on how to fix muscle asymmetry and uneven muscles as well as how to overcome one arm bigger than the other, be sure to subscribe to our channel here on youtube at

66 thoughts on “How to Fix Muscle Imbalance (EQUALIZE YOUR SIZE!)

1. SkurrSkurr says:

Please make a video on popping and snaping. My shoulder pops at like every direction and my hip somtimes pops aswell.

My hip started to pop and snap just after doing some hip stretches. Please help

2. Oskar Thor says:

I wish more guys would watch those videos, both newbies to the gym and those who are more advanced, it bothers me that guys who want to work out get inspired by synthol bloated steroid freaks that have no respect for their bodies, damaging their joints by lifting way to heavy, then guys show up to the gym and start to mimic their exercises and form, usually lifting wayyyy to heavy with horrible form.
    I was no different when I started working out 6 years ago (Age 17) I was training wrong and and all of my friends were…. over the years i have been focusing on more scientific workout with lighter weight and better form and I feel so much better than I did before and.
    Lets stop idolizing synthol and steroid freaks and lets put the science into our workouts !!!!

3. nameunselected says:

Can you do a video on atrophy after surgery/major injury? I broke my patella tore my left quad and tore the acl and it is strong as the right but the muscle is off bc of the quad tear I think. I can do pistol squats on it and have full range of motion but the muscle is just not coming back. Please help

4. Alpha Bro says:

When you mentioned the thing about sitting in from of your computer, I paused the video for a second, and looked at myself.

My right hand was on top of my mouse, and the left one was resting on my leg, about 30 cm lower.

I work in from of a computer several hours a day, and the problems you describe in this video is very real to me, which is the reason why I’m watching this right now.

Being aware of the problem now, I hope I can fix this imbalance, and reduce a lot of small problems I have in the gym.

Thank you so much for sharing this!

5. David Mitchell says:

I notice that when I do flat bench (at least on machines and with dumbbells), I tend to flare my right elbow out while keeping my left one closer to my body. And interestingly, my left pec looks slightly wider and more well defined. I’ve been able to successfully compensate when using the machine – by placing a mirror directly in front me of – but I’m still thinking of a way to get one above me when using a flat bench.

• Sponge bob Square ass says:

Clorox Bleach lemon fresh One thing I can suggest for your chest is using dumbbells instead of the bar for your workouts , My issue is that my left arm is so much thinner and so is my shoulder , This is stressing me out. I just guess that from now on I’m not going to use cable and only dumbbells as whenever I am struggling with the set it’s always the right side of my body pulling the weight.

• Pavle Jovicic says:

My muscles arent imbalanced, but one shoulder is lower than the other, and trapezius on my higher shoulder is ” longer” than the other one … And neck is tilted a bit on side.. What can I do guys?