How to Workout to Build Muscle, Burn Fat and Improve Performance

Your ability to build muscle, burn fat and improve performance depends on how much progressive overload you have in your workouts. The challenge is knowing just what sort of progressive overload is appropriate for your goals. You could just promise to work hard and improve in one or two areas (eat less sugar, do more reps etc) but it’s very hard to make much long-term progress that way. Check out this week’s offering of the RDP Podcast as I cover the basics on just what to improve to achieve the results you want in weight loss, muscle and strength, or functional performance. Take your training to the next level: Website: https://www.reddeltaproject.com Train smarter, not harder, with RDP Books on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2Xm4OFB Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/red.delta.project/ #reddeltaproject #fitness #podcast

39 thoughts on “How to Workout to Build Muscle, Burn Fat and Improve Performance

• Barry van Veenendaal says:

Some young people at work showed me they can do 30+ pushups.. Till I showed them the correct form and the 1 second pause at the bottom. They died at 7 reps… RIP. lol

• RedDeltaProject says:

lol, I laugh because I’ve been there so many times myself. Now i’ve come to enjoy that sort of thing. I love finding ways to make the exercise harder so my numbers go down

• NLT31 says:

john smith Wells that’s sort of true, if someone is using poor form with heavy weight and are forced to use good form which in turn forces them to use less weight or do less reps it’s absolutely right. However I hear this sort of thing all the time from a lot of people like the weight is almost secondary, a person who can back squat 90-100kg in perfect form is not strong and pistol squats although having many benefits will never duplicate the effects of a 400-500lb squat. The goal should be to progressively squat more weight over time in good form.

1. Vinícius Albuquerque says:

I just want to say to that guy that puts the thumbs down on every single video:

Dude, just go watch something else. This is a very good video, there is no reason whatsoever for disliking it (I wasn’t able to find it, anyways).

But if you truly has something to say about it, comment here, and maybe Matt can use your insight to make his videos even better than that. Then, you and I will get even more value.

PS: Matt, you are my second prefered source for fitness information. The first is Jeff, from AthleanX. Thank you for all you effort.

2. James Woods says:

Hey Matt, when I squat below parallel I feel IT band pain but when I squat to parallel there is no pain. What could be the reason for this and any possible solutions for this issue?

3. Anival Benavidez says:

Hey Matt, once we’re able to do a full back bridges, when and how often should we incorporate them? Considering that they are a harder progression than table bridges, which can practicly be done every day.

4. Mariano Larrosa says:

As always Thank you Matt for transmitting your concepts in this way. Put my mind on the T.U.T. these days, my M.M.C. greatly improved to maintain tension throughout the exercise execution without losing it. BFLF

• RedDeltaProject says:

Kinda, I’ve been trying to make a video on some of my latest stuff but my sound equipment has been unreliable so I keep having to scrap everything I film. I think I’ve got it dialed in now though and should have some new stuff out next week

5. George Locke says:

I love this video! Matt, my question is, do you think “health” counts as a goal in the sense that you can use progressive overload aimed at improving “health”? My general take is that improvements in fat loss, muscle gain, power/strength, and endurance are all improvements in health. For the most part, any sort of training can improve your health, but my (largely academic) question is whether you think there are health-related goals achievable with progressive overload that are distinct from the three bullets you outline? (Thanks so much for all the awesome videos you make, and I’m looking forward to reading the GSC book!)

• RedDeltaProject says:

For sure, but it’s important to define exactly what sort of physical adaptation you’re going after (which I cover in a future video soon). Your body doesn’t understand vague notions like “health” or “strength” or “being fit” it only understands what sort of adaptations are being asked of it. Once you get clear on that, things get a lot easier to manage

6. krizmsf says:

Thanks for another great video. I practiced Taekwondo and suffered an injury to my leg (muscle break) in the dojang. I had to leave because of this injury and because my master did not support me. A year and five more pounds later, I’ve been researching ways to keep fit so when I go back to practice it doesn’t look like a sack of potatoes falling to the ground 🙂 After what happened I won’t go back to Taekwondo, I’m going to try Shotokai Karate. On the other hand, I’m glad this happened to me because it gave me a chance to know this channel. I’m happy every time I watch one more of your videos. Thank you very much!!

• RedDeltaProject says:

Welcome aboard krizmsf sorry to hear you had a tough time with your old instructor, that doesn’t sound very classy to me. The first job of any teacher or coach is to support students through set-backs and hard times. I do hope you can find a suitable instructor in your next adventure.