MLB Pitcher Turned Bodybuilder (UNRECOGNIZABLE!)

Kyle Farnsworth, MLB pitcher turned bodybuilder, might be unrecognizable to those that watched him during his playing days. In this video, I’m going to discuss why his fitness transformation and his pursuit of bodybuilding is not that surprising to me.

To start, we can see that his physique is clearly in bodybuilding shape. There is no doubt that he looks jacked and lean. Just a short time away from appearing in his first bodybuilding competition, he took a bathroom selfie that has been circulating the internet and was picked up by The New York Post. This picture has led some to speculate that some assistance was used to aid his transformation. As it turns out, this theory is not a shocker to me.

Farnsworth played through the era of the enhanced baseball player and when the famous Mitchell Report came out, there was rumors that he would be on it. Why? He was known throughout MLB for being jacked, especially at 6-foot-4 and 240 lbs. His sheer size and muscularity was enough for some to speculate that he would be outed while pitching in the MLB. These rumors turned out to be false and he was never named in the report.

Something worth noting about Farnsworth, especially when it came to his training, is that he was one of the, if not THE hardest worker in the room. During my days as a physical therapist and strength coach for the New York Mets, I actually got a chance to see him in the weight room when the Mets were playing the Yankees.

I remember one particular day, I arrived at Yankee Stadium on a day where the game started at 7 pm. Wanting to get a workout in before the payers arrived, I walked into the weight room pretty early in the day. Who did I see already in there, hammering away at leg extensions? You guessed it, Kyle Farnsworth! The man was one of those first-in, last-out kind of workers; making sure that not a moment of effort in the weight room was wasted.

Now, I found this very interesting because I did not know many baseball players, especially pitchers, to train like bodybuilders. His training was very physique-focused when I found that most players at his position would train differently. Thus, based on the training that I’ve seen him perform in the past, the transition to bodybuilding really isn’t all that surprising to me. Clearly he had an interest in these types of workouts, thus eventually Farnsworth’s muscle building routines would continue past his career.

Kyle Farnsworth was known throughout Major League Baseball for not only being big and muscular, but for being extremely tough as well. Farnsworth, at his stature alone, was imposing – however, he was also not one to back down from a confrontation and even a fight. This left him as one of the more intimidating baseball players, let alone pitchers.

In one particular instance, there was a confrontation with a batter (the opposing pitcher, Paul Wilson,) who took exception to the location of Farnsworth’s pitch. Jawing back and forth, Kyle goaded Wilson into charging the mound, who did exactly that. Unfortunately, for Wilson, he didn’t realize the beast he was going up against. Farnsworth speared him to the ground in a manner that would make Bill Goldberg proud.

After the benches cleared and the brawl was settled, Wilson returned to the dugout battered and bloody while Farnsworth was smiling and chuckling about what had transpired.

If you were wondering, yes there was in-fact a bench clearing when I was with the New York Mets. The only difference was that I was not involved… at all. When the players rushed the field and I was ready to join them, our head trainer made sure that I wasn’t going anywhere. So, I stayed in the dugout and watched from afar. Probably for the best, I might add.

So, looking back at the type of baseball player Kyle Farnsworth was and especially how I witnessed him training, it is of no surprise to me that he is now getting ready for a bodybuilding competition. He was jacked when he was playing and he’s even more jacked now, which, as I said before, is of no surprise to me.

If you are looking for a program that has you training like an athlete and will take you to the next level, then check out our ATHLEAN-X training programs using the link below. Be sure to use the program selector to find the right workout program to fit your goals.

Looking for more videos on getting jacked and building more muscle? Subscribe to our channel here on YouTube and remember to turn on your notifications so that you never miss a video when it gets published.

Build ripped athletic muscle here – http://athleanx.com/x/my-workouts
Subscribe to this channel here – http://bit.ly/2b0coMW

33 thoughts on “MLB Pitcher Turned Bodybuilder (UNRECOGNIZABLE!)

“FAST ACTION” Q&A* – Leave your most burning question about this video or any other training, PT or nutrition question within the first 2 hours of this video’s release (AS A SEPARATE COMMENT!!) and I will pick 8 to get a detailed reply from me right here in the comments. Answers will be posted within the first 24-48 hours of you leaving the question. Good luck!

• Raph Pereira says:

How important are sleep and rest days to gains? If you train too frequently can that stunt gains? If you train on an upper lower split everyday will you see less optimal growth than if you take a rest day on the third day?

• po po duck says:

@Shawn Leslie you seem to have a lot of experience under your belt, i am not lucky enough to get a reply from jeff but i hope i may get one from you. i want to workout but because of my moving schedule of college have not enough time for it, what would you like to say to me un restricted thoughts and how can i make more time in that? thanks

• 222Kamron says:

How effective do you think Kneesovertoesguy’s training methodology is? Is there anything you would push back on?

2. Nicolas Camlin says:

Man… Jeff!… You are the “guru”. For real brother, you always deliver in such a creative way that is precise and sharp. Thanks for your hard work and being here for all of us.

3. Devon Carter says:

I’ve always wondered how you train individually. Do you use any of your programs that you cycle through with others, or just use one that you stick with?

4. johnny gunzfilmbuff says:

I was shocked and amazed. Plus I am a yankee fan I grew up watching him on the yankees. He was k hit or miss sometimes he had some good game and bad games.

5. Vik says:

Jeff make some more videos of your baseball stories. As a long time MLB fan (from Toronto), it would be cool to hear some of your tales.

6. Daniel Turkowski says:

Always thought Farns was a big buff dude back when he played for my Cubs so I’m not too surprised by this. You nailed it, the time he speared the dude who charged him was great

7. Donorcyclist says:

Thank you for addressing the PED aspect of his growth. I’m not buying that he’s done this without pharmaceutical help, but thank you for addressing the jacked elephant in the room.

• Jake Germain says:

@Spirit Of Alaska jealous and don’t know what long term healthy lifestyle is. Most are short term and expect the same results as an old timer doing it for many years.

• Sophie Smith says:

When looking at the issue of PEDs, I never look at how jacked a person is, I look at the brow ridge, as a great increase in size might be a good indicator of long term use. These carry risk of major organ damage. Its also common for pro athletes with injuries to be using them, for a recovery time period. Risks far out weigh the benefits for the average person. Because I have certain congenital issues, and therefore limitations, I was sent to a doctor, who advised me of said risks. They give these drugs to pro athletes on one end, and those who would be too disabled to function on the other. Does an increase in quality of life out weigh the risk of early, untimely death? For someone who can do a work out on athlean x, NO!

8. afz394 says:

I want to ask as you eluded to in the video, what’s your take on peds used in professional sports and the prevelanve or lack there of in any sports. It’s seems alot of fitness bros seem to think everyone in professional sports is on the sauce, and I would love to hear your take on this, having been a part of a professional sport for so long. Cheers

9. Joseph says:

He’s still juiced….regardless of his work ethic. The sensational aspect is that people don’t end up looking like him absent the use of anabolic steroids….again, regardless of the number of “leg extensions” or whatever other movement one does in the gym. That’s the “intriguing” aspect people are interested in. Nothing wrong with it….but he ain’t looking like this because of his “dedication” alone.

• Meysam Ghaderyan says:

Exactly. dedication is meaningless when you are enhanced. It’s so easy. It’s like picking up a girl when you are super rich. It does NOT count. when you recover fast and see results no matter how perfectly you eat and train, it will be super easy to be “dedicated”.

• DRIS says:

I have worked with bodybuilders for over 15 years. I used to be like others and think “they are so dedicated and inspirational” for most of my life. But by the end, I realized that they were nothing more than illegal drug users and look at them no differently than I do the meth addicts in my neighbourhood.
      At age 40, I went from “do you even lift” to having strangers on the street ask me if I was a pro athlete and if I could train them or tell them my secret. I busted my butt in the gym lifting weights for 2 hours every day for 6-7 days a week (the low intensity, low volume 1 hr workouts didn’t do much for me). I measured all my food and did things in the gym nobody else was going (besides lifting heavy weights up and down).

Meanwhile, the local pro bodybuilders (and local amateur champs) came to my gym. They were 2x my size and people would look at them as gods. Their workouts were a joke. If I lifted the way they did, I wouldn’t have looked like I lifted at all: lots of low intensity usually looking to be 5 reps away from failure, just happily getting a pump and leaving after 45 minutes barely breaking a sweat. Yet they grew every week. I had a few of them try what I was doing and fail (sled pushes and even just pullups). One guy who was massive had to go off his cycle for a few months for health reasons (surprised) and despite hauling his arse into the gym (he admitted without drugs he had little motivation) and he went from looking like Captain Marvel to looking like Billy Batson. He looked like a scrawny little kid.

So for people who say the drugs don’t make that big of a difference, I say “you are delusional”. I dont buy into the whole “they still have to train hard”. Not only do gains come with just modest work in the gym, it’s WAY easier mentally to haul yourself into the gym every day knowing you can do some mild pump work with a smile and know you are going to make big gains.

10. Captain Pi Seahorse says:

How do you account for cardio in your maximum weekly sets? I am wanting to increase my sets for my quads and hamstrings as I onIy do 2 exercises a week for each. (Far less than any other muscle group) But I feel like I already struggle with my recovery on my legs as I walk everywhere I go, walk a fair amount for my job and I swim twice a week on rest days sandwiched between my 3 heavy gym sessions. I am concerned that my legs aren’t growing in size as quickly as the other muscles and will quickly lead to a disproportionate look!!

11. JP_L says:

Jeff could you do an PHA workouts series? When you mentioned carl weathers a few videos ago, it was the very first time i heard about it and sounds interesting to lose fat without sacrificing muscle

12. 83 GT/Brian says:

No doubt he is not natural. This in no way detracts from the sheer effort it takes to look like that. It is still impressive.

13. dmwt91 says:

I don’t even watch/follow baseball, but I do love when Jeff talks shop about his previous career in MLB. It’s really great to hear behind the scenes stories from the pro level.

14. The GIVE TEAM says:

Thank you for this. Farnsworth is a great guy. He bought a gym owned by my former trainer and hosted our team at the grand opening. He’s helped promote us and is a solid guy, physically and otherwise. It is NOT surprising to see this side of him because he HASN’T stopped competing.

15. Krzysio Jarzyna says:

Hi Jeff,
    I haven’t found nothing near good regarding proportions.
    What is your view on it – in the terms of size and most importantly strength? How about lifted weight / body weight ratio?
    I would love to hear from you.

16. That Kasper says:

Dude also played defensive end in semi-pro football in Florida…a year after he left the MLB. And was pretty good at it, racking up 11 sacks that season. The vids of him look like an NFL player wrecking high schoolers!