5 Foods EVERYONE Should Have in Their Diet!

Did you know that there are 5 foods that everyone should have in their diet? In this video, I am going to discuss what those 5 foods are and their health benefits. Not only that, but I will also explain how they relate to growing muscle too. That being said, let me break down these foods for you.

First up in foods that everyone should be eating are blueberries. Don’t get this confused with blueberry flavored foods or foods that include blueberries in them, i.e. blueberry scones that you might get from Starbucks. While some might argue that blueberries contain a lot of sugar and will make you fat, I would argue that this is absurd. Blueberries are low in calories and also do not spike blood sugar levels – two known factors in weight gain. Full of antioxidants, potassium and vitamin C; blueberries have a great anti-inflammatory response. Not only that, but studies have shown that the nutrients found in blueberries are also beneficial for muscle growth.

Next, is the green veggies that mom always told you to eat. However, not just any greens, but specifically cruciferous vegetables. This includes foods such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts, and more. The big benefits of eating cruciferous vegetables is that they contain glucoraphanin which breaks down in sulforaphane when chewed, chopped or cooked. This compound is known to activate antioxidant and anti-inflammatory responses in the body. Even more interesting, they are actually muscle building foods as well. sulforaphane has been shown to deactivate myostatin production which is a protein that slows your gains by putting the breaks on muscle growth. So, if you want to prevent slow or no muscle growth, cruciferous vegetables are important for you to be eating as part of your diet.

While green foods often get all the attention, orange foods are ones that deserve recognition too, especially when it comes to their health benefits. So, what orange foods should you be eating? Cantaloupe, pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoes, and oranges themselves just to name a few. It’s been shown in studies that eating these orange foods can actually help with fat loss. In fact, an analysis showed a 10% drop in body fat. Now that’s not saying going from 20%-10% but 10% of where you are starting (20%-18%). And if you want to build muscle, orange foods have shown to increase in muscle mass from 1-1.7%. Including these orange foods in your diet is an effective method for building muscle and burning fat too.

This food is one that I’ve talked about in the past that is important to have in your diet for a few reasons. That food is ginger. Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory and is particularly effective in descreasing muscle pain associated with delayed onset muscle soreness. One study showed that 2 grams of ginger a day for 11 straight days decreased delayed onset muscle soreness by a subjectively reported 25%. By decreasing the soreness related to eccentric training, one of the main drivers of hypertrophy, you will feel more recovered and more ready for your next training session. There are also a few ways to include ginger in your diet too; you can take ginger root and grind it up into multiple different recipes, you can make ginger tea, or you can do my favorite method – eating pickled ginger. I like to take pickled ginger and put it on top of my eggs each morning. In conclusion, there is no denying the benefits of ginger and why it needs to be included in everyone’s diet.

The 5th food option that everyone should include in their diet is lean protein. Now, it’s important to note that there is a big difference between lean protein and simply protein. The best hint I have for this food topic is to start with food in it’s natural state; grilled chicken, steak, fish, and, if you are not a meat eater, lentils. Now, how you prepare these foods is a guide for the direction that you are going to want to take it. For example, grilled citrus chicken is likely off to a good start as you are not going to throw something like alfredo sauce all over it. In comparison, you have chicken parmigiana that is not only going to be fried bread crumbs, but smothered in cheese and like contains a hefty does of starchy carbs from pasta included on the side. This is where a protein supplement can really make a difference too.

If you are looking for a training plan with a step-by-step meal plan that includes these foods you that you can build muscle and burn fat, you can find them at the ATHLEAN-X website by following the link below.

If you are looking for more videos on nutrition as well as training and workout tips, be sure to subscribe via the link below and remember to turn on your notifications so that you never miss a video when it’s published.

Build ripped athletic muscle here – http://athleanx.com/x/my-workouts
Subscribe to this channel here – http://bit.ly/2b0coMW

33 thoughts on “5 Foods EVERYONE Should Have in Their Diet!

“FAST ACTION” Q&A* – Leave your most burning question about this video or any other training, PT or nutrition question within the first 2 hours of this video’s release (AS A SEPARATE COMMENT!!) and I will pick 8 to get a detailed reply from me right here in the comments. Answers will be posted within the first 24-48 hours of you leaving the question. Good luck!

• guz guzon says:

Hi Jeff, is upper/lower body split considered as good as ppl? When should one choose upper/lower split over ppl and vise versa?

• HOLLYWOOD UNAPOLOGETIC! - Filmmaking Essentials says:

I ate a mostly Mediterian diet for decades. I began having kidney stones and have had removals four times with a fifth procedure on it’s way. As a diabetic and suffer from kidney stones, I have to stick to a low-oxalate diet. Unfortunately, I’ve had to cut out the food mentioned, even though I used to eat everything you suggested. It’s frustrating to say the least. I eat maybe a dozen foods and that’s it. Any chance of extending on what is covered in this video for others out there like myself, who have to keep to a low-oxalate diet, while keeping blood glucose in check, as well as regulating one’s pH? Thank you guys!!!

2. Monica Steenkamp says:

Love all your excercises , advice etc – thank you so much for sharing – may God bless you

3. Walt Malone says:

Seems to me it’s all about eating healthier and getting more fruits and vegetables in the diet and less quick ‘on the go’ foods
    Thanks again Jeff!!

4. Marko MarinkoviC says:

1. Blueberry
    2. Green vegetables (cruciferous)
    3. Orange food( pumpkin, squash, oranges, mango, sweet potato…)
    4. Ginger
    5. More protein

5. Chris Chin says:

“cheap plug aside” this is one of the reasons I love your videos. There’s no bullshit, you’re fully self-aware and you don’t hide anything. And that’s not changed once in a decade of YouTube.

6. Sad Dany says:

For me, the most rewarding thing from eating those vegetables, fruits, is the effect that they give to my skin. Eating vegetables and fruits consistently make my skin glowing, smoother, minimal acne breakout, and just straight up better.

• nicolainaret says:

While it’s true that if you eat healthier, you get healthier as whole and thus also your skin, acne is a super complex problem. That why derms are usually are super reluctant to advise about diet when it comes to skin. There is no statistical evidence that supports less sugar etc to better skin, partly because study design is extremely complex when it comes to food.

• nicolainaret says:

@Owen Jessop there are a lot of reasons for “bad” skin that require different approaches. Hygiene is the easiest (face towel, cleansing etc.). There are also cosmetics that help (salicylic acid, niacinamid, aha etc.) and straight up over the counter drugs or prescription drugs. I always thought that stuff like that is girly but when I did my minor in chemistry I actually learned a lot of different interesting things that are actually science based. Just make sure you inform yourself before going out an buying random stuff. Lab muffin is a great resource if you’re interested.

7. DarthNoshitam says:

Jeff have you ever done a review/ranking of the different PT certifications or certifying bodies? That would be interesting and informative

8. VilleBalla says:

Hey Jeff. I had a question about physique. How would one know if they have weak transverse abdominis, APT, or excess belly fat? Based on my wife’s measurements with calipers (inaccurate, I’m sure), I am around 11.3% BF. If I were to be modest, I would say that I’m probably closer to 15%-16%, and I have stubborn fat in my abdomen region.

I was wondering if there was a way to distinguish between the three scenarios above (or a mixture of two or all three of them), how would one go about specifying the issues, and what optimal actions should be taken to fix them.

As always, great content!

9. Guillermo Reloba López says:

Disclaimer! If you plan on eating a few blueberries every breakfast, frozen blueberries store much better and, depending where you get your fresh ones, might even be better for you (as they are frozen very fresh, therefore preserving all the nutrients).

• Samuel F says:

Doctors say that the dried Canadian blueberry is a powerful tool for our… you know… member!

10. b. slims says:

I do wanna point out I like the new style and edits in the video. The choice of Background music, plugging in research from studies, and just getting straight to the point without going to side stories for too long.

With this i feel the video has more structure and easier for getting my attention to get engaged with.

11. Donnie Dean says:

I live on and work on a farm. My family and I eat these foods regularly, well when in season. Ginger, cinnamon, canned pumpkin as well. I do grow most of these foods and eat them all year. I don’t have time to lift weights but I do calisthenics, Thai boxing and Jiu-Jitsu. I’m 50 and still look like I’m in my mid 30s. Great advice and video.

12. Frixos Yiannakou says:

Got excited when you mentioned Sulforaphane. There’s actually many more phytochemicals such as this one called Isothiocyanates (ITCs), with SFN being only one of many. I did my MSc Thesis on the effects of ITCs on melanoma cancer

13. Sean D says:

What’s your thoughts on taking some of these foods, (greens and oranges) and ingesting them through daily shakes?

• Kiaran Jay says:

Generally fine, so long as the ingredients are blended rather than juiced, to retain the fibre etc. Also better if you eat the smoothie rather than drink, to slow down the digestion.

14. John Lucas says:

A big help! I highly appreciate the time and effort that’s always put into the descriptions of your videos sir.