The Official “Love Handle” Solution (LOSE STUBBORN FAT)

If you have love handles and want to officially get rid of them once and for all, you are going to want to sit down and watch this step by step solution for losing this lower abdomen fat for good. This is a stubborn area of fat for both men and women, but is particularly problematic for guys since it is the area that they store fat most readily. This also means that it is the last to come off when trying to drop body fat percentage.

The key to getting rid of this belly fat however is to first identify the main problem. Every single time it is your nutrition and diet approach that just isn’t good enough.

No amount of cardio in the world is going to help you overcome a bad diet in the long run. You have to have a more responsible approach to what you are putting into your mouth if you want to get rid of love handles. Remember, just because it has a name and a location doesn’t mean that it’s something unique. At the end of the day it’s just body fat. Every time you accumulate more fat around your waist then you want, it is because you are not establishing the caloric deficit required to burn fat adequately.

This is solved by focusing on improving your nutrition to accomplish this goal.

Now you may have heard about the 80/20 rule when it comes to achieving a goal. Be good 80% of the time and that will be enough to get you almost to the finish line. Not really the case here. Because love handles tend to be the last area to go when dropping body fat, you really have to be better than that. I’m not saying it’s not good to start off with these goals, but you will ultimately need to be sharper if you want to rid yourself of this waistline and low back fat permanently.

So how do you get closer to a 90/10 effort on diet. Think about it in terms of 10 meals. For every nine that you eat that are in line with a proper fat loss diet, feel free to indulge a bit on your 10th. This will help you to keep your sanity while achieving the body fat levels low enough to lose the love handles. I definitely advise you to do this while still eating carbs too. This is something that many people make the mistake of when trying to get to lower body fat percentages. Carbs are helpful in so many ways.

Not only do they help you to maintain that consistency needed to lose fat and keep it off but they help control cortisol levels in your body. When cortisol gets too high it gets very difficult to mobilize fat and the weight stays on. Keep a 2:1 ratio however of fibrous carbs to starchy carbs at all times on your plate and you’ll be making sure not to overdo it when it comes to achieving your goals while still enjoying your meals.

When it comes to training you have to do three things right.

First, you must evaluate your training split. Look, I am as big a fan as any of the PPL split. Heck, even a bro split can be done effectively too if you know how to stagger your exercises. That said, neither is even close to ideal if you want to prioritize body fat loss. Here something like PHA or peripheral heart action training is great at getting you to lose fat and build muscle at the same time.

Choose compound exercises that alternatively work the upper and lower body and perform them in sequence with no rest in between. About 6-7 exercises should do it when creating a circuit. The weights you use can be changed up quickly in between sets to keep the load appropriate for the exercise that you are doing. After all exercises are complete. then take a brief rest and repeat for a total of 2-7 rounds.

Next, you have to train your obliques. Forget what anyone else has told you about oblique exercises giving you a thick waist. This is not true. It’s the fat laying over the top of them that is doing that. Get rid of that fat through the steps outlined above and keep training the obliques as shown and you will create a visually tapered waistline that looks amazing.

Finally, while fasted cardio is something many rely on to get rid of love handles, remember – it’s always about the nutrition first. If the eating is in place then the fasted cardio can have an impact, especially with these areas of stubborn fat. Most research shows a net net effect with more fat being burned during a fasted cardio session but less afterwards. That said, the additional in-session boost in the absence of insulin can help with those final percentage points of body fat that are keeping the stubborn fat.

If you’re looking for a complete program that lays out a meal plan for dropping fat easily, be sure to head to athleanx.com via the link below and use the program selector tool to find the plan for you.

For more videos on how to lose 5 pounds of fat and the best way to lose love handles, be sure to remember to subscribe to our channel via the link below and remember to turn on your notifications so you never miss a new video when it’s released.

Build ripped athletic muscle here – http://athleanx.com/x/my-workouts
Subscribe to this channel here – http://bit.ly/2b0coMW

45 thoughts on “The Official “Love Handle” Solution (LOSE STUBBORN FAT)

“FAST ACTION” Q&A* – Leave your most burning question about this video or any other training, PT or nutrition question within the first 2 hours of this video’s release (AS A SEPARATE COMMENT!!) and I will pick 8 to get a detailed reply from me right here in the comments. Answers will be posted within the first 24-48 hours of you leaving the question. Good luck!

• ™SAMURAI YT says:

I am 15 yrs and my parents will not buy me protein supplement or anything , i am veg and exams are also coming , what do u recommend to me? , Should I build muscles now or just focus on cardio?

• BLO Gaming says:

Hello I need help! I have 2 full time jobs as of the moment to help pay bills and all. But I want to get my workout in. Its just I have a hard time how to squeeze it in and the right sequence of workout to do to get my overall body workout done at office if possible.

• PINKI DAS says:

Plz tell me sir I’m in 16 should i use dummbles
      4 dummbles each side 2.5 kg
      1 barbell each side 3 kg
      1 dumbbell 5 kh 2 dumbbells 10 kg
      1 barbell 6 kg

2. Daniel Contreras says:

At this point Jeff feels like a father figure. I remember being in my early 20’s purchasing the athleanx program and now into my 30’s I’m still here. Thank you for years of free fitness education.

3. Carlos Cepeda says:

Thanks Jeff, I am retaking exercise after being unmotivated for 3 years and I got more love handles and this is going to help a lot, thank you again, keep going, I’m actually glad that one of my favorite youtube workout channels is still here!

• josvel says:

Keep at it, I myself am doing the same thing. I slacked off and let myself go but not letting myself be down for the count. Keep the fire burning!!

4. Daniel Mulero says:

Hi Jeff. Right now I am developing consistently what you call true strength. Although in some exercises I have been dropping the lifted weight, as my posture has improved significantly and I am overcoming my compensations, I can really tell that my body control and my command over the weights is unprecedented. I would say that my biggest successes are being able to train with intensity pain free, to gain the awareness of my long lasting compensations and having the knowledge to get rid of them… Without your honest education this would not have taken place. Thank you!
    My question is: Do you think, that the long lasting compensations, once identified and corrected, may have an everlasting effect on the body? I mean, could it be that some compensations have caused some damage to the joints, tendons etc. that are impossible to heal or to overcome? (I am 48 years old)
    Thank you again for your effort and help!

5. Barquero Juan Carlos says:

A while ago, Jeff gave us a 10min routine for the three planes of the body : sagital – mt climbers, frontal – skiers, rotational – kick throughs, for beginners and advanced. It’s great for abs and body movement

6. bjorkidentity says:

A lot of great information in there, thank you!

Here’s my question: Can inflammation or cortisol become chronically high to the detriment of getting a strong/intense workout?

Here’s the background: I’ve been doing A-X for years now, but I’m now in my mid 40s. Training to failure, which has always been my go-to, now requires a week or more to recover, most notably in my triceps.

Because of the pain, my training has been significantly reduced. I did 3 sets of 10 pushups, which wasn’t failure, as I restarted A-X2. It’s been 5 days and there’s still soreness. I’m so frustrated! My muscles have the strength, but my tendons and DOMS are so bad that my training is going down the toilet. I don’t have any feedback for pain until 2 days+ after I train. I feel good after I workout. I refuse to believe “I’m just getting older.” My thinking is that inflammation is rampant, but have not measured it yet.

Thoughts or advice is much appreciated!

• White Male says:

Jeff didnt answer the question, he just gave a suggestive aproach to training in order to see if it can help.

• White Male says:

@ironman tooltime
      Saying he “adressed the question” when he didnt answer it is a fallacy and a lie. You are not helping Jeff or anyone else.

7. CookinSoup says:

I always watch and listen more intently to Jeff’s videos compared to anything else I watch. I enjoy the functional aspect to fitness for the longevity portion. Could we get a sample PHAT workout?

8. Pranav Bulusu says:

Hey Jeff I got a question: I’m currently a 5’ 7”, 120 lb, 16 year old who’s been going to the gym over the past year (not very consistently though). But starting since last week I’ve made it a genuine commitment to go to the gym 4 days a week with a PPL wkt routine where the fourth day will either be pull or push (alternating weekly). I will also be doing a 10 min ab wkt on these days. The workouts I perform are directly from your channel. With my goal being to decrease body fat percentage a little more and to build more muscle (hypertrophy), do you think what I am doing right now is enough if I am able to perform it consistently or do I need to add something more? And when it comes to nutrition should I worry about how much I eat? Or should I worry more about what I eat (I’m vegetarian)? I know these are a lot of questions but if you could answer at least one of them, I would really appreciate it.

• TheRogueUnderdog says:

@Pranav Bulusu as I wrote, I would rotate the workouts. Push-pull-leg-push, then next week pull-leg-push-pull, then leg-push-pull-leg and start from the top.

• Uncle Ben Dover says:

@Cyber Default tbh im almost same body type as him and for me i just have man boobs and a little bit of stomach fat left over from when i was chubby around 11-12 years old . rn im 15 and its still here and the only way to get rid of it is to do cardio to lose the fat and to also build muscle (my abs are already strong asf its just my chest thats hella bad)

• Sooner Born says:

@Pranav Bulusu Please stop worrying about cutting body fat. It’s only going to hinder your newbie gains. Eat a bunch, get familiar with progressive overload, and watch the gains come. This channel puts out good stuff, but it also promotes body dysmorphia. If you’re 120 pounds, you do not need to cut body fat. You need to build muscle. Go watch some other channels like Sean Nalewanyj, Geoffrey Verity Schofield, or Renaissance Periodization for more realistic goals. Revival Fitness also has a good view point on bulking and getting out of “newbie purgatory”.

9. Ish Kazetori says:

Q&A question: Should I eat back the calories that I’ve burnt from running (or any other form of cardio)? I’m a huge running fan, I run 3-4 times a week mostly longer distances. However, I’m trying to build lean muscle at the same time. Now I’m a skinny guy (66kg), I got into training about 6 months ago. From each running session I burn around 1000-1200kcal and it kind of throws me off since I’m struggling to eat even 2500kcal a day. Should I even eat back those burnt calories (or most of it) or how should I go about that? I would love to hear your take on this.
    Thanks Jeff!

• Blue Heart says:

This is a difficult one. I am not a doctor nor a health dietist or anything. But maybe take some mass gainers for extra calories? You can build muscle more easily but don’t forget this probably affects your running performance as well, more weight means more effort to move it

10. Luka Papež says:

Great video as always! I also have a question… I am 24 and had 3 years of chemo for leukemia that is currently resolved and both hips replaced due to AVN from treatments. I’ve been consistently working out for two months now and I’m wondering if it is normal to be sore for 6 days by doing just 1 set of 7 reps of pull-ups to failure, or might this be due to all the treatments diminishing my stem cell pool? I’m just not sure if I am undertraining or does my body need way more to recover acting more as if I was 60 years old? Hope this wasn’t too confusing.

• MrBananajoePL says:

Going to failure in itself causes most people to get sore no matter what stage they are at. It is even more true for beginners. The same thing happend to me when I started out with calisthenics. I was sore for a week straight. So what did I do to get around that? I tested my max rep range and got lets say 5-6 clean pull ups. Then afterwards I did 30-50% percent of that and increased my sets for e.g. instead of 3 sets to failure I’d do 5 sets of 3 reps. Did that for a couple of weeks and tested my max again later. Adjusted that once more and went on with my business. Once you plateau, lets say you hit around 10 reps a set, I’d recommend emom excercises. EMOM is an abbreviation for every minute on the minute. This way you train you muscle endurance by doing a certain rep range on a timer for e.g. 3 reps every minute for 10 minutes and you’d total with 30 reps. One last piece of advice, don’t stick to a certain routine for too long. Take a month or a couple weeks and switch stuff up.

• Mile says:

Whenever i do deadlifts my back and hamstrings are sore for the rest of the week. The soreness is gets less severe each day, but it doesnt go away

11. takethepowerback83 says:

Currently losing weight and working out. Started last Winter and I’m feeling good and looking good. Jeff’s right, It’s more about what you eat than working out!
    – Breakfast: Whey protein shake and a coffee
    – Lunch: Amy’s canned lentil soup or split pea soup with an avocado
    – Dinner: Chicken breast or steak with veggies, or whatever else I can whip up.
    I cut out fast food, soda, french fries, chips, ice cream, and most alcohol. I swapped soda for sugarfree sparkling water. I swapped whiskey for gin or vodka with diet tonic water and lemon.

• • CAM • says:

Keep it going man that’s great. I lost over 100lbs but I wish I knew about this channel before I did bc I could’ve been much leaner and muscular with his guidance.

• hans2006 says:

“most alcohol” I like the way you are thinking.
      Why did you cut on Whiskey though? I like to drink a glass every now and then too.

• Nylphinx says:

@hans2006 – Whiskey is more calorie dense than vodka & tequila. When I started my weight loss journey I had to replace my Old Fashions with vodka & soda. I went from 194lbs to 164lbs, also save alcohol for only the weekends and if you plan to drink in the evening cut your calorie intake earlier in the day to make room

12. jumpskirt says:

I really get a lot out of these videos: you really preach sensible, factual advice, with great illustration. Thank you, Jeff. You rock!

13. golani79 says:

Thanks for all the great content! I´ve done a lot of cardio in the last years – but I´m not where I want to be. Gonna take the plunge and start doing your workouts / exercises in addition to my cardio stuff. Keep it up!

• Jylyn Jylyn says:

I did HIIT and cardio more in the last few years. But I learned quickly that cardio isn’t the answer, and have switched to resistance/strength training. Started to see results, I couldn’t be happier and more motivated now. Wishing you all the best in your fitness goals.

14. Fox Lego says:

Exacly the video I was looking for! Im 5foot9, 160lbs, I got a nice fit body but I have a hard time loosing my love handles. I will follow everything you said in this video 😀 Thanks alot for everything you do Jeff ! Big love from Montréal

15. K Comber says:

Well done video as always informative, concise and real. Im a dad at 58 looking to get to that sub 12% I am an 80 20 and now need to go 90 10, makes pefect sense would like to know more about the full body workouts. Thank you!!

16. StevenN says:

Always great advice and encouragement. Gained a lot of weight during the pandemic lockdowns. On that long journey now to drop the weight and get back to a healthy balance. Jeff’s programs are top-notch.