Intense Ab Workout | 6 Minutes (FOLLOW ALONG!)

Build Muscle in 90 Days – http://athleanx.com/x/my-workouts
Subscribe to this channel here – http://bit.ly/2b0coMW

If you want to develop six pack abs you may think that you have to spend hours a day trying to get one. That is not the case at all. If you are able to commit to a consistent but short effort you will be amazed at how much better your abs could look in a short period of time when combined with a focused attention to what you eat as well.

In this video, I have a short 6 minute ab workout for you to do along with me. As you will see and feel, an ab workout does not have to be long to be effective. As a matter of fact, I would probably say that the longer the ab workout goes, the less effective it becomes. The key to this working is that it is short enough to allow you to do it on a regular basis without having to fight to schedule it into your day.

Remember, the key to getting a six pack is consistency. Now, don’t think that just because you might be doing the same set of exercises that it is becoming less effective. It is not. The choice of ab exercises in this workout is broad enough so as to cover all of the major functions of the abs. There are bottom up movements that better hit the lower abs. There are rotational movements that are initiated from the bottom up and the top down to really hit the rotation capabilities of the core muscles.

There are also top down movements where the shoulders are lifted off of the ground as opposed to the legs, which are situated at the end of the workout to allow you to keep training your abs when they are fatigued. When there are purposeful ab exercises in your workouts they do not have to be long.

The point of this video is to give you a follow along ab workout that you can do anywhere. There are no special pieces of equipment needed to do this. All you need is your body and some space on the floor. You might actually need a bit more than that, and that would be a heavy dose of determination to try and resist the burn of these exercises as you do them. Remember, the pain from ab training is usually only temporary. As soon as finish the exercise and the lactic acid starts to clear the abdominal muscles, you feel normal again.

See if you can follow the entire ab workout along with me, resting when I do. If you need extra rest for some reason, don’t be bashful – take it. Maybe you can only do 40 seconds of one of the 60 second ab exercises. That’s ok, do what you can and rest for the remainder of that exercise. As you get stronger on these you will be able to do the whole thing without extra rest. Here is the ab workout as follows:

Hands Back Raises x 60 seconds
Drunken Mountain Climbers x 30 seconds
Cross Knee Planks x 60 seconds
Rest 30 seconds
Scissor “V” Ups x 60 seconds
Starfish Crunch x 30 seconds
Rest 30 seconds
Upper Circle Crunches (clockwise) x 30 seconds
Upper Circle Crunches (counter clockwise) x 30 seconds

So there is an ab workout you can do at home with no equipment that will get you started on getting that six pack you’ve always wanted. If you want to speed up the process you will want to make sure your diet is in place as well. If you want a step by step meal plan to get you ripped fast, head to athleanx.com via the link above and get the ATHLEAN-X Training System.

For more ab workout videos that you can follow for a six pack, be sure to subscribe to our channel here on youtube via the link above and be sure to turn on notifications so you never miss when something new is posted.

36 thoughts on “Intense Ab Workout | 6 Minutes (FOLLOW ALONG!)

Want me to bring “Washboard Wednesday” back? Leave a thumbs up to cast your vote.

“FAST ACTION” Q&A* – Leave your most burning question about this video or any other training, PT or nutrition question within the first 2 hours of this video’s release (AS A SEPARATE COMMENT!!) and I will pick 8 to get a detailed reply from me right here in the comments. Answers will be posted within the first 24-48 hours of you leaving the question. Good luck!

• Damo says:

Hey Jeff, I’m 39 years old, workout almost everyday for 20 years and I’ve been diagnosed with traumatic distal clavicular osteolysis in shoulder. I haven’t lifted in 6 months and I’m not too keen on surgery, I’m wondering if you’ve ever had experience with this or someone that has?

• Margaret Stringer says:

Jeff, this is from someone who suffers from an inner ear problem. One too many crunch and I’m all nauseated, and ready to barf. I imagine I am NOT alone with this predicament. I always improvise abs workout, to go around anything that involves moving my head up and down while on my back. Can you come up with an abs workout program for people with that affliction? We can’t do starfish crunches, we can’t do v-ups, some of us can’t even do sit-ups. With your experience in the workout department, and your knowledge of all the exercises – could you please?

• Jules31 says:

I’m a yoga chick but I’ve found your methodology the best for rehabbing my back and keeping me in the game. Glute med, core and lumbar all pretty happy now. Thanks 🙂

2. Luke Pattison says:

I love Jeff’s follow along abs workouts, having training tips during the exercises is even better than the earlier ones!

• Dr. Livesey says:

idk if he mention but, you should add cardio to this workout if you have some body fat to lose, if you are skinny af this one will be helpful

• Luke Pattison says:

@Dr. Livesey I am at a steady 8% and generally do these after interval sprints or a 5k. Agree that a few of these a week is time better spent elsewhere if you have a lot of fat to lose.

3. Mindtrix says:

Hey Jeff, I’ve been eating at about a maintenance/minor surplus level for about 9 months to focus on gaining strength, it’s gone great. The last month or so, I’ve tried to start a cut as I have a holiday coming up but feel tired more often and noticeably weaker in the gym. Any tips for cutting weight and not losing strength and feeling crappy?

• G Sica says:

@Matthew great advice. The only thing I am not a fan is oatmeal and pineapple. I am not saying doing strict keto, but for me reducing carbs and being diligent with fruits has worked well. I also eat three eggs everyday (good quality eggs)

• Pop Fizz says:

If you’re feeling crappy then that means you should decrease the calorie deficit, and if that doesn’t help then you’ve gone below your genetic setpoint for your healthy body fat percentage and there is nothing you can do about that

• Mindtrix says:

@yolo thank you, this is really helpful. Deffo most relevant to me out of most comment. I’ve been eating my carbs around working out and this has been really helpful. I’m at about 40/35/25 split p/c/f. I think going for a smaller deficit might be worth trying, currently about 500 and it’s sucks. I’m an advanced lifter and I like to eat, especially after a work out where I’ve gone heavy.

4. Matt Jones says:

Question…in the other 7 minute video follow along, I often have trouble with my hip flexors and low back giving out before my abs do. I know that you say “use the abs, not the hip flexors” and that helps, but is there something else to do for those and what about strengthening low back imbalances so that my abs are getting the full benefit? Workouts are at home with limited equipment. Thanks for this updated video! Big fan of the other one.

• G Sica says:

I think this type of exercises have the drawback of activating hip flexors too much, especially if you are a beginner and even more when you have to do it for 60 sec. It’s a long time and inevitably the hip flexors will give in. I tend to replace them with other versions. Jeff has plenty of versions to choose from. Try them out.

• Pop Fizz says:

I haven’t seen the 7 minute one, but I used to have the problem of my hip flexors being where I feel the workout the most, the main difference is the motion you’re doing, the best way to explain it is by using a crunch, if you pull your whole body up, that works the hip flexors, but if you just kind of curl your body rather than pull it up, it should target your abs better, and using that curling type of motion rather than a pulling motion in as many exercises as possible

• Kenzo K says:

Not going to lie I can do dragon flies Nd I’d say harder ab workouts I’m pretty advanced but my hip flexors do kick in as well I weigh 145

• Dhabitah Kamarudin says:

I’d suggest replacing the exercises with something else you can do without hurting your back. For me, reverse crunches are good or if there is something like scissor kicks, I tend to put my legs up more straight almost perpendicular to the floor, instead of having them angled or lower to the floor. When I started doing ab workouts two months ago, I couldn’t do stuff like leg raises and stuff cuz my lower back would hurt so badly. So I had to replace them. Now my core is stronger and I know how to focus more on my abs instead of using my hip flexors or back to hold me up. Now I can finally do leg raises without lower back pain.

5. J. Harrison says:

Talking while doing this is IMPRESSIVE!!! I’ll have to work up to this, little by little. Thanks for the demo! Great camera work, & editing.

6. Spinning Gary says:

I literally have been following the OG 7 minute follow along with the 6 minute lower abs follow along video. This will be a great addition to the rotation.