Resistance Bands vs Free Weights for Building Muscle

Can you really build muscle size and strength with resistance bands the same as you can with free weights? This is a side by side comparison.

37 thoughts on “Resistance Bands vs Free Weights for Building Muscle

1. jizmm813 says:

That was a great video. I like bands because of the 100% resistance and they will maintain and enhance your physique and their cheap and you can do your workout at home

2. Peter Lindman says:

This guy is so cool. Hes such a good teacher! Ive watched so many various workout videos and James is by far my favorite trainer. So glad hes around giving us this valuable knowledge! Please keep it up….i eagerly await your new videos!

3. Wezz says:

Extremely informative, brother! I, myself, have started training with bands recently, and I’m convinced you can be a pro bodybuilder using only bands! Thanks for the video, and keep up the great work!

4. JVan2573 says:

Love your attitude towards bands. I’ve been using them for over 10 years and because I am 60 I feel they are much easier on my joints than free weights for certain areas (especially shoulders). You have provided some ways of using them for other body parts that I hadn’t thought of before. Much appreciated!

• Visor Seen says:

This is why I’m getting into it. I’m recovering from a injury that just won’t go away. I figured I might as well just transition so it’s easier on my joints.

5. Kayode Oladimeji says:

The main benefit of the band is injury prevention. They allow you to maintain an exercise regimen forever without having to take time off for rehab. The only time off you will have from bands is recovery from sore muscles

6. Zachary J says:

I’m a well tester and flowback operator in the oilfield I spent 85% of my time on location I don’t have time to go to the gym vans work great for me besides talking up I’ve lost about 30 pounds and I finally went to the gym for the first time in about four months and was even really able to bench press 245 no problem … I was skeptical I’d always been the freeway but I believe bands are the way they lease if you’re in my line of work and you don’t have time to go to the gym … i’m also type one diabetic and has been very helpful for my diabetes thanks !!!!!!!!!!

7. Gio Fontanez says:

I love bands. Been using them for a year now and always get a burn/ pump. And get sore the next day. Free weights you end up with tendonitis. Bands are what I use

8. This is Life We are Loving it says:

I bought a set of bands yesterday, for $8, biceps curls, triceps extensions, and shoulders presses have an amazing contraction and better burn. I’m doing sets of 15-20 reps. The bands seems a bit more challenging due to the stabilization muscles. I believe one can cut their body up by using bands.

9. Sandra Carter says:

OMG, just found my new trainer as I’m exercising outside, I don’t want to lug weights. Finally, someone who makes sense. Keep up the good work.