5 Muscles You’re TOTALLY Forgetting to Stretch (BIG MISTAKE!)

While we should all be stretching, there are likely 5 muscles that you totally forgot to stretch and that’s a big mistake. In this video, I am going to show you 5 of the most overlooked muscles when it comes to stretching, the best way to stretch them, and when you should be addressing them during the day.

I would bet there are two reasons as to why you haven’t stretched these particular muscles and it likely comes down to the fact that either you didn’t know how to stretch the muscle or you didn’t know you could stretch it in the first place. Well, after watching this video, you’re not going to have either of those problems again.

The first muscle group that you need to stretch is the peroneals. These muscles run up and down the outside of your leg and are often chronically tight. You might notice this tightness even more if you have flat feet. The reason you are forgetting to stretch the peroneals is likely because you didn’t know that you could stretch them in the first place.

The best way to stretch these muscles is with the sit-to-stand frog stretch. Start off by sitting in a chair and put the soles of your feet together. From here, slowly stand up and bring your knees together while keeping your soles in contact with each other.

With the sit-to-stand frog stretch, you are going to want to hold this position for 45-60 seconds a few times throughout the day.

The next muscle that you are forgetting to stretch is par of the all important rotator cuff, and that is the subscapularis. This muscle is often neglected simply because it sits “out of sight” and thus “out of mind.” Unable to actually see this muscle often leads to us forgetting that it exists in the first place, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still stretch it.

To stretch the subscapularis, you will need a broomstick, mop, or dowel of some kind in order to complete the movement. Bring the broomstick behind your bicep, reach across your body and grab the lower end with your other hand and open your chest (pulling the broomstick with that reaching hand). To get a further stretch, we need to achieve external rotation and you can do that by pulling up on the broomstick as well.

Perform this dowel stretch for 45-60 seconds on both sides, at any point during the day.

The third muscle that should be stretched is the rectus abdominis, better known as the abs. With tightness in the anterior chain already pulling our shoulders down and forward, tight abs will further exacerbate our postural problems by pulling down on the ribcage. Thankfully, there is an easy way to stretch this muscle with the use of a physioball.

Lay on your back over the top of the ball, allowing yourself to contour to the shape of the ball. From here, drop your pelvis down and reach your arms back overhead. This will create a greater distance from the pelvis to the ribcage which will elongate and stretch the abdominals. With enough attention, you can help to fight your postural deficiencies.

Hold this stretch for 45-60 seconds, 2-3 times per day when you can.

The fourth muscle that you are forgetting to stretch is the quadratus lumborum, otherwise known as the QL. The reason we forget to stretch this muscle is similar to why we skip the subscapularis; we can’t see or necessarily touch it. Just because we can’t reach it with our fingers, doesn’t mean that it can’t be stretched, however.

With the QL slide, you are going to start on all fours, slide one leg down and drop your hip. From here, you will push off the hand resting on the ground and lean slightly forward. This will give you a good stretch on the QL when you might not’ve been able to reach it very effectively trying to stretch it in the past.

Perform this stretch for 45-60 seconds each set and is best done in the morning if you want to feel amazing throughout the day.

Lastly, you might be forgetting to stretch the lats. Even if you are stretching them, I have a particular movement that I think is one of the best ways to stretch the lats. If you want to learn more about that stretch, you will want to click the link below.

Do This EVERY Day for Better Posture (GUARANTEED!) – https://youtu.be/3aRpAO6bfvA

If you are looking for a training plan where everything is laid out for you step-by-step and overlooks nothing, then you are going to want to check out the ATHLEAN-X training programs via the link below.

For more videos on the best way to take care of your body when it comes to building muscle, then you are going to want to subscribe to this channel here on YouTube using the link below. Remember to turn on your notifications so that you never miss a new video when it’s published.

Build ripped athletic muscle here – http://athleanx.com/x/my-workouts
Subscribe to this channel here – http://bit.ly/2b0coMW

47 thoughts on “5 Muscles You’re TOTALLY Forgetting to Stretch (BIG MISTAKE!)

*NOTIFICATION SQUAD “FAST ACTION” Q&A* – Leave your most burning question about this video or any other training, PT or nutrition question within the first 2 hours of this video’s release (AS A SEPARATE COMMENT!!) and I will pick 10 to get a detailed reply from me right here in the comments. Answers will be posted within the first 24-48 hours of you leaving the question. Good luck!

• Dozer Corbin says:

I posted this following comment approx. 20 minutes after you posted your video. Apparently I didn’t post it in the right spot. Anyway, give this a go over and see if you can help my issue. Thanks.
      Jeff you spoke of the rectus abdominis muscles. I need you help with what I’m dealing with that affects these muscles. I suffer from diastasis recti, the separation down the middle of my “6 pack” muscles. I have tried finding exercise videos to help repair this. I was at 440lbs 26 months ago, I’m now at 292lbs. I have learned & applied a lot from your videos. So please, I need your advice.

• Padmaselvan L says:

Hi Jeff. Not sure if you have made a video on “pain in the ball of the foot”. If not, it will be great if you can do a video on the same (how to avoid, how to recover from the pain)

• Jeevesh Mahajan says:

Please talk about PROLONGED NECK SORENESS.

Is it something with my back that’s been causing it since the last 1.5 months.

2. b. slims says:

Id like to see more mobility stuff and follow alongs for workouts! maybe warmups for total body or specific muscle groups or training focuses.

3. pedroSilesia says:

Hey Jeff can you make a whole video on the most important stretches – full body to do everyday?

4. Helizac Cordero says:

Hello Jeff. Like a couple of weeks ago i was doing squats, and on my last rep i got this pretty bad throbbing headache. It was near the end of the workout and i was pushing it on the last rep. A couple of day later when i tried doing pull ups to start my workout, i got the headache again and couldnt workout after that. I tried again a week later, same thing happened. It seems that my headache has gone away, but i havent tried doing an actual workout yet. What is this headache i got and how can i treat it if i get it again? What may be some causes for this headace?

• Sub7 Fitness says:

Are you holding your breath when you exert effort? This can be pretty common in people who hold their breath without realizing it

5. Saransh Pandey says:

Damn can we all appreciate the fact that he is giving all this knowledge for free. Absolute gold

6. Rudransh Puthan says:

Question:Hey Jeff I met with an accident about 3 years ago. My right knee was broken and 3 screw are still in it. Due to this my right leg is weaker than my left leg. How can I fix this muscle imbalance?

• Sub7 Fitness says:

Hey, start training unilaterally and do your weaker side first. When you fail on the side that is weaker only do the same amount of reps on the stronger side.

An example of this would be doing bulgarian split squats. Starting with your right leg. If you get 8 reps on that side then only do 8 with the left side at the same weight. Hope that helps!

7. letsgetfree1 says:

Jeff, I’m still confused about adding muscle and losing fat simultaneously – and specifically about whether being at a caloric deficit is going to limit my gains. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

• letsgetfree1 says:

@Bob I’ve watched a ton of Jeff’s videos but don’t recall having seen this specific question answered – but if you have a recommended video, that’s be great.

• Sub7 Fitness says:

You can gain muscle while in a calorie deficit. Focus on having a smaller deficit on the nutrition side and on the training side be sure to lift with a focus on strength

• Jello Jiggler says:

I am NOT an expert. But, imo it’s possible. I did it during quarantine. The way I think about the term “caloric deficit” is it isn’t less calories than you need to function, it’s less calories than you usually eat… and most people eat way too many calories without realizing it. I just focused on changing my diet into one that was less calorie dense, more filling, had protein, and was sustainable. Keep in mind that the average human being burns 1800 to 2000 calories a day doing nothing, the average human only needs 1600-3000 calories a day to be healthy, and an entire cooked chicken has 1000-1500 calories depending on the size. If you work it out you can eat kind of a lot and still be in a deficit. Also you don’t need that many extra calories(all things considered) to build muscle unless you’re a pro level athlete. But, all of that being said, if you really want to pack on muscle you should bulk… just realize you probably won’t see the muscle until you cut. And the reverse is true for cutting.

• Terence Ferguson says:

I’ve lost 4 1/2 stone over the last year and put on more muscle than I ever have. Keep your protein high and your calories low and progressive overload and you will smash it.

8. Samy Sart says:

1. Peroneals 0:23 => Hold this position for 45-60 seconds a few times throughout the day
    2. Subscapularis 1:27 => Stretch for 45-60 seconds on both sides two times
    3. Rectus abdominis 2:39 => Hold this stretch for 45-60 seconds, 2-3 times per day
    4. Quadratus lumborum 3:44 => Perform this stretch for 45-60 seconds each set and is best done in the morning
    5. Lats 5:02 => Stretch for 45-60 seconds on both sides two times

9. Andrei Picus says:

When I lay on my back on the floor, and stretch my legs and relax them to the sides, my right ankle touches the floor, while my left one does not. I can push down with my left foot until the ankle touches the floor, but it feels uncomfortable. Which muscle(s) should I strengthen/stretch to correct this imbalance?

• Gypsy Crusader says:

Quite likely none. That might just be your skeleton. Your right thigh bone might be more externally rotated than your left, which is normal and isn’t a problem.
      Rare cases this could be due to left adductor muscle tightness- however you explain no pain so this is unlikely.

If you are concerned about it then consult a physiotherapist, however from what you are describing this sounds 100% normal and is down to your own personal anatomy.

• Jello Jiggler says:

I am NOT an expert. That being said what you described happens often in chiropractor youtube videos that I watch, and the chiropractor usually cracks your limbs into alignment. Maybe consider seeing one?

10. Cody says:

With memorial day coming up, how would you approach the Murph workout
    (1 mile
    100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 air squats followed by 1 more mile) in order to get the best time possible, while being efficient through out the whole workout?

A great question for those looking forward to the workout this memorial day in honor of Lt. Michael Murphy and all veterans who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Thanks Jeff

11. Nick P says:

Hey Jeff, my question is about collarbone pain. Immediately after heavy bench press, dips (this is probably the worst one), and some other pressing movements I get a lot of pain in the outside edge of my collarbone, out near my shoulders, but it goes away in like 5+ seconds. How much of a cause for concern is this, and are there any rehab exercises I should look into?

• Hrishabh says:

Did your collarbone popout … cuz mine does pop near the neck side when i raise my arm up .. Although it wont hurt (in my case)..

12. Bob Davanzo says:

Wow this one really hit home. ALL of these I have been focusing on the past couple months and its been making a difference. The QL stretch with your past video on soft tissue work with the tennis ball cleared up 90% of my low back pain that kept me up half the night for over two years.

13. Derek Chu says:

Great video as always, Jeff. Do you think you could do a video on rest days – specifically what the science says about consecutive rest days vs staggering the rest days over the course of a week? Which one is better for recovery and gains?

14. Yuppi says:

Hey Jeff, I can’t remember too many calf training videos on this channel. My physiotherapist said he’s a big proponent of training calves, because despite getting plenty of load from all the lifts we do, there’s a lot more functionality to calves, e.g. ankle control (which is why he prescribed me some calf specific exercises) that are important. And I believe especially important for sportsmen moving in space, so I’d expect that to be a big importance in your training book. Many bodybuilders don’t train calves until they’re getting very competitive either, despite some academics/coaches think it’s good. Would you talk about calves – their functionality and importance – and make a calf training video?

Also I can’t even do what Jesse did in the first stretch, my left ankle gets very painful on the outer edge trying to do that. I also hate the QL slide. It makes my wrist hurt and arm get very tired.

15. Stefan Teodorescu says:

hey Jeff, I know the importance of keeping my shoulders healthy. Today I was at the swimming pool and I was swimming both crawl and breaststroke styles and was thinking that in both cases my shoulder ends up internally rotated, and in a protracted position and I found it pretty unconfortable. Can you recommend some exercises to help balance this and make sure I don’t hurt my shoulders from doing this movement while swimming? Thanks

16. Edward Arias says:

I really appreciate your great examples of how to do lifting and stretching the correct way. I’m in my early fifties and sometimes suffer from muscle spasms in my middle back. Do you have any recommendations on how to prevent the spasms from happening and how to treat them without meds once they spasm? Thanks, Ed

17. Dwoprus says:

Great video! Loving that shoulder stretch! I’ll also try that gluteal/hip one, too.

18. Sub7 Fitness says:

Thank you for the emphasis on stretching and longevity. These are both so important and often overlooked!

19. Sahaj Talwar says:

Stretching really is one of the most underrated activities today.
    Not only does it minimise chances of injuries, but it makes EVERY movement you do, easier. What more can one ask for from something you do for 10 minutes a day.